This job is no longer accepting applications.
You have a passion for high-quality, reliable and maintainable code. You’re comfortable working side by side with product managers, designers, and clients, making decisions together in order to quickly deliver valuable working software to clients and their users. You’re agile and retrospective, and not afraid to identify what we’re doing wrong so we can fix it, and what we're doing right so we can improve on it. Above all, you judge your success by the success of your team and the happiness of our customers.
What You’ll Be Doing
You will be working on the VMware Pivotal Labs Services team, helping customer product teams to design and deliver modern, mission-critical, cloud-native applications serving a variety of missions and user needs.
As a software engineer, you will pair daily with client software engineers, coaching them in Extreme Programming (XP) methodologies and approaches while helping them to define, validate, communicate, and execute product vision and strategy. You will work with a team of product managers, designers, and engineers to enable your client team to go fast forever.
All of our product team positions are highly collaborative consulting roles, with 85-90% of time spent in direct, 1:1 pairing or larger team collaboration. During the COVID-19 crisis, this collaboration is all managed remotely, with the expectation that face-to-face engagement in a VMware Pivotal Labs office will pick up again once the crisis is resolved. Additionally, once the crisis is resolved, you may be asked to travel up to 50% of the time.
You Will Be Responsible For
- Working with your client engineers to enable them in XP software development practices and/or application modernization practices
- Pair programming with clients and other VMware Pivotal Labs engineers to build/modernize software based on the team’s backlog
- Working with your team to provide technical input on product, design, and architectural decisions (such as technical complexity and feasibility)
- Help the team manage risk and uncertainty while moving the team forward
- Teaching your client pairs how to do the above for themselves
- Help enable client leadership to grow their own engineering practice
- Contributing back to VMware Pivotal Labs’ engineering practice through mentorship, giving talks, and experience reports
Required Skills And Experience
- Experience in training, mentoring and/or upskilling others
- Strong communication skills and interest in a pair-programming environment
- Experience in Test Driven Development (TDD) and agile methodologies, including refactoring
- 5+ years of full-stack Software Development experience in a variety of programming languages
- Strong experience with full-stack development
- Passion for growing your skills, tackling interesting work and challenging problems
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
- Experience developing cloud-based enterprise software
- Experience leading a product or development team
- Ability to incrementally define and improve system architecture as a product evolves
- Experience modernizing legacy applications/systems in languages such as Java or C#/.NET
- Up to 50% travel is expected in this role once travel opens up again
- Ability to Work From Home until sufficient resolution of the COVID-19 Crisis
Desired Skills And Experience
Below is a list of skills we value. This is not a checklist. If you have some of these skills, and want to grow into others, then we want to hear from you.
- Experience building and deploying in a continuous delivery environment
- Experience working directly with clients
- Experience with domain driven design and architecting systems that are easy to change
- Experience in release management
- Experience supporting production systems using Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) practices
- Experience with Kubernetes or related automation / orchestration tools
BA/BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
What’s It Like To Work At VMware
We believe that teams should spend more of their time delivering incremental value and less on building infrastructure. We’re building platforms, tools, and automation, including Tanzu Application Service, Tanzu Kubernetes Grid, and Tanzu Mission Control, to enable our customers to easily and confidently develop and run the software that powers their business. Hundreds of companies rely on our platform to meet the needs of millions of their customers. Our engineers embrace Extreme Programming (XP) as a way to go fast forever and deliver remarkable results. Our product managers and product designers work side-by-side with our engineers in small, empowered teams, using Lean and User Centered Design (UCD) as guides. We measure success by making our customers more productive, as software developers, product managers, and product designers. We enable our customers to build high quality products and highly efficient software development teams.
- Empower Teams - Diverse teams with shared context, psychological safety, and decision-making authority move faster.
- Start Simple - Learn just enough to begin and let the work inform the direction.
- Embrace Change - Expect change and turn it into opportunity.
- Deliver Early and Often - Ship value to users and measure impact to lower risk.
- Improve Continuously - We are always learning and humbled by what we don’t know.
- Contribute to Open Source Communities - Share our time, tools, and methodologies to maximize our impact.
Votre candidature a bien été envoyée.